Focal Point

Focal Point
Focal Point is more than a blog. It's purpose is to help us stay focused on Christ through Gods Word as we navigate through life and today's culture.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Light in the Darkness

When I was a child my parents took our family to the Mammoth Caves in Kentucky.  I will never forget that experience.  When the group got way back deep into the caves the guide told us to stand still, not move, hold on to someone because he was going to turn off the lights.  Wow, I have never been in any place since then that was as dark as that.  Even after our eyes got adjusted to the dark you could not see your hand even when held right in front of your face.  One thing is for sure, you would not want to walk through the Mammoth Caves or any caves for that matter in total darkness…you would need a light to get you safely through.  Now for that moment in time we were in a very dark place.  The sad thing is many people today are in a very dark place, and I don’t mean because they are stuck in a cave…it is because they are in a dark place in their lives and they need a light to get them safely through it and out of it.  2 Peter 1:19 says “And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts”.  The Word of God is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.. We need Gods Word and we need to pay attention to Gods Word if we want to walk safely through the dark…But there is something else in vs 19.  It says ‘until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts’.  That is speaking of the appearing of Jesus, until Jesus comes again, until we see Jesus we need to pay attention to the Word of God.  We pay attention to the lamp.  We live in darkness and we need the light of Gods Word.  Now, there is coming a day when we will not need the scriptures.  It is a day when we will exchange the scriptures for personal contact.  For example, I send my wife a text message and I tell here I am leaving town and will be home soon.  She writes back, “ok, drive careful”. When I get home what do I do?  I walk into the house, and come right up to her and then write another text that says “I am here”……No..I am there in person, I exchange the texting for the audible, the personal contact.  The same is true when we all get to heaven.  No longer will there be the need of Gods Word, we will now be with the Lord in person.  But until that day when all our dreams are fulfilled, we will continue to live in a dark world.  We need the light of Scripture to guide us and to confirm to us that we belong to Him and that all of the promises our ours….
…to be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment