Focal Point

Focal Point
Focal Point is more than a blog. It's purpose is to help us stay focused on Christ through Gods Word as we navigate through life and today's culture.

Friday, November 18, 2011

How to make a new day a good day

It’s a new day, and with it comes new opportunities and possibilities. Yet like new weeks our days are often reminders of yesterday and the chance to repeat the same mistakes. I feel the same stress, same burdens, have the same decisions to make, that problem area or person is still there, that bill is still waiting to be paid and the check book is still in the red. What? My account didn’t automatically increase overnight while I was sleeping? We climb out of bed and our loved one says ‘good morning” and we respond with a grunt and before we can ever pour our coffee this new day has already started off wrong. We go to work and the first question we hear is “ how is your day going?" You respond with "Don’t even ask!"

So what can I do? Because how we start our day is up to us. I can choose to be very intentional about how I begin each day. The Bible says in Heb 12:2 ‘Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith” The NIV says “Fix our eyes on Jesus..” I like that because it refers to a concentrated gaze on Jesus..our eyes are fixed, set on Him, just as a mariner or pilot has their eyes fixed on their equipment in the middle of the storm so that they stay on course.

So, it’s a new day and a new day of ministry. This is the day the Lord has made let us rejoice and be glad in it....the question then is - ‘what can I choose to do that will make it good’?

He is a suggested list of ideas that I came across that we might start off with. I share them with my added comments.

1. Today, I will begin my day by focusing on God. He is greater than my frustrations, my disappointments, and my worries. As a result, I choose to begin my day reading my Bible and praying before I go to work. Start off with your focus on Jesus (eyes fixed on Him) rather than the mounting problems. It is very difficult to see Jesus when we are focused on the circumstances of life.

2. Today, I will begin the day with the "end in mind." I need to keep the big eternal picture in front of me. Life is so much more than whatever frustration I am experiencing at the moment. We need to live with eternity in view, not just for the temporal things of this world. Remember God has a purpose for your life and there is a life to live that is bigger than ourselves and bigger than our problems.

3. Today, I will choose to make someone else’s day just a little brighter. Smile at a person. Remember and use that person’s name. Show interest in another person’s life. I will choose to focus on someone besides myself and what is happening to me.

4. Today, I will contribute to building a more positive environment wherever I am. I will be very slow about being critical or saying something that is negative. I will be quick to point out what is good and right. We have a tendency to focus on the negative far more than the positive things in life. Make Thanksgiving day an everyday experience.

5. Today, I will say "thank you" to people who contribute in some way to my day. I will especially look for opportunities to express appreciation to people who don’t expect to hear it.

6. Today, I will choose to have an attitude that reflects the goodness of God. I will not allow circumstances or other people to change my attitude. After all, my attitude reflects who I am as God’s child and not the circumstances around me. Cultivate an attitude of gratitude in every aspect of life.

7. Today, I will in some way communicate to those who are nearest to me, my family and my friends, that I love them. Perhaps it might be in person, by sending a card, or making that phone call.

What we focus on makes a huge difference in our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment