Focal Point

Focal Point
Focal Point is more than a blog. It's purpose is to help us stay focused on Christ through Gods Word as we navigate through life and today's culture.

Monday, March 22, 2010

worry

These past two months have been quite a month for my family. Since almost losing my wife on Feb. 6th God has shown Himself mighty and strong in His healing of her body. But then again when I come to think about it, He has all my life but like most of us we fail to see the strong hand of God in and on our life. As a result, we worry about a lot of things that we should not. We see God save and heal a life and then turn around and worry about smaller and lesser things forgetting what God had just done on the bigger scale.


A University of Michigan study discovered some interesting facts about fear and worry:
60% of what you worry about is unwarranted
20% of what you worry about is already past; it is over and done with
10% are issues so petty that it is foolish to worry about them
4% to 5% are justifiable concerns, but there is nothing you can do about them; they are out of your hands
Only 2% of what we fear and worry about is legitimate

Many of us are professional worriers; in fact, we worry over the fact that we worry too much. You see, so much of what we worry about is not real and it simply blinds us like fog to the awesome power of God.

Did you know worry can be like fog? I live in an area where the fog can become pretty thick and you can not see what is in front of you. But did you know that if you take a dense fog that is one hundred feet deep and covers seven square city blocks and condense it, you would get less than one single eight-ounce glass of water? When a single cup of water is vaporized, it transforms into a dense, blinding fog that covers seven city blocks. That is amazing! And that is what we do with worry. We allow something in our life, whatever it may be, that amounts to almost nothing, to become a blinding, all-encompassing vapor that hinders our faith.

When David wrote Psalm 23:1 “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want”, he knew he was connected to the source that is all-sufficient and inexhaustible. He was not going to worry, God was in control.

2 comments:

  1. That IS pretty amazing (about the fog)! I don't normally tend to be too much of a worrier, but sometimes I do get distracted with it. Worry is a sin because, in essence, we're telling God we don't think he can handle our problems, whatever they may be...and it's so true - when we look back at many of the things we thought we had to worry about, they don't amount to anything, after the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pastor Steve. I'm a professional worrier for sure. I now have a copy of this blog in my desk, my glovebox, my kitchen junk drawer :), my nightstand, and in my purse just in case. Thank you for your wonderful insight!

    Molly Schlange

    ReplyDelete