Focal Point

Focal Point
Focal Point is more than a blog. It's purpose is to help us stay focused on Christ through Gods Word as we navigate through life and today's culture.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Importance of Evangelism

Since my wife almost went home to be with the Lord on Feb. 6th the Lord has been teaching me a lot of things. For one, the importance of eternity and reaching people for Jesus Christ. Life is short, heaven and hell are real and people need Jesus.

While in Jacksonville, I heard a sermon by Dr. David Platt. In that message he pointed out these facts. He said, there are about 6.8 billion people in the world, 1/3rd of those are assumed to be Christian (but in truth many are not and that word 'Christian' is often used socially and politically ). But if 1/3rd were Christians, that would still leave around 4.5 billion people who do not know Christ as Savior. That is an astonishing number. Now neither I nor my church can even begin to think about reaching that many people. Not even the mega churches could do that. However, we can do our part to fulfill the Great Commission. We can do and must do our part in fulfilling our responsibility as a church, people and pastor to reach not only those across the sea, but those right here at home. Smith River, Crescent City and Brookings Oregon is my home mission field and I want God to use me here. My prayer is that the Lord would help me become more passionate about people’s spiritual lives. My prayer is that the Lord would help my church become more passionate about others. That we would spend the time we have left on this earth for His glory and to fulfill His purposes and the purpose He has left us to do.

A few weeks ago I came across a great article in a blog written by Thom Rainer the CEO of Lifeway. Here is the link, I hope you will go to it, scroll down to the article on Seven Characteristics of an Evangelistic Christian.

People need the Lord. It is not just some song from the 80’s, it is a fact of life

http://www.thomrainer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment